Horizontal Stab Fairings
|Description of Task
||Cut out all the stiffeners and smoothed those
needed for the right elevator. I used duct tape to hold
open the skin and clecoed the stiffeners. After match
drilling the stiffeners to skin I flipped the skin over and
repeated match drilling the top stiffeners. Deburred the
stiffeners. Here you can see my technique for holding the
skin open for deburring. I will need to recruit some help
in order to dimple the skins (not enough hands).
||Deburred the right elevator skin. I
assembled the end ribs for the counterbalance, fluted and match
drilled. I beveled the outside edges of the counterbalance
skin where the skin overlaps. Dimpled the stiffeners.
||Dimpled the counterbalance ribs and skin,
dimpled the trim plate and deburred both skins. Match
drilled the back plates to the Rt. elevator spar and deburred.
I bought the 8oz kit of T-88 from Wicks Aircraft Supply for
the trailing edges of the rudder and the elevators. The
ProSeal has only an hour life once you mix the parts together
and I realized I would not be able to use it for both the rudder
as well as both elevators. Oh well, maybe I will be able
to use it to glue the ribs in the trim tab.
||My flying partner, Jerry, flew up today to check
out my progress. He helped me dimple the Rt. elevator
||Scuffed and cleaned the Rt elevator stiffeners
and applied Sanchem chemical conversion.
||Riveted the stiffeners to the Rt. elevator
Sanchem the spar, ribs and counterbalance arm. Riveted the
support brackets and the end rib to the spar.
I was riveting the counterbalance arm ribs and created this
nice "smiley", so I called it a day.
||Riveted the elevator skeleton together
||Riveted the spar to the top skin, the
counterbalance assembly to the spar, and the bottom skin to the
spar. Riveted the root and tip ribs to the skin.
Drilled the AEX wedge to the trailing edge, deburred, dimpled
and countersunk the AEX wedge. Drilled entire trailing
edge to the aluminum angle. Took the assembly apart and
glued AEX wedge with T-88 epoxy, clecoed the assembly to the
angle and set aside to cure.
||Removed clecos and cleaned rivet holes in
trailing edge. Back-riveted trailing edge (half way) being
sure to alternate sides, flipped elevator over and riveted the
trailing edge using the steel angle as a bucking bar. It
is straight as an arrow.
Installed the rod end bearings and installed the elevator to the
horizontal stabilizer. Aligned and checked for fit,
clamped and drilled the hole in the elevator horn. I found
a 1/4" OD x 1" aluminum spacer at Home Depot to use as a drill
bushing. I had to take off about .001" in order for it to
fit snugly inside the VA-146. I used a 1/4" reamer to
finish the hole to final size.
The Right Elevator is FINISHED!